Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Inca Trail- Day 2

Day 2, the challenging day. The course for the day includes a five hour, 1200m (almost 4000ft) climb to Dead Woman's Pass at 4200m (almost 14,000ft). After that incline, there's a roughly two hour 600m descent to our camp for the second night. This incline was probably the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. Reaching the pass was an exhilarating experience that I've never felt. As I'm writing, I realize that I am at a loss for words to describe, so I'll let some pictures tell the tale.
This picture of Dad and I was taken about 1 hour into the incline.
Snow-capped mountain off in the distance.
LLlllaaaammmmaaaassss!!! Seen in their natural habitat.
A deer we saw about one hour from the top of the pass.
A view of where we came from... way down there!!
Waterfall along the way. There were a few others, but they didn't show up very well on the camera.
Dad and Sara at the top of Dead Woman's Pass; they are waving to Jesse and I as we come up.
Another view of where we came from. It is way down in the valley.
Our group at the pass. We made it!! Below, the post stating where we are and the altitude.
This is a shot of our campsite, right before the clouds moved it. The video below shows how quickly the weather changes in the Andes.

No comments: