Thursday, May 20, 2010

Just Another Paraguayan

Last week I heard some of my students talking about the NBA playoffs during class so naturally I eavesdropped a little on the conversation and overheard them say that they were cheering for Steve Nash because he had a Paraguayan wife. I had never heard this before so I inquired and they were a little hazy on the details so I checked it out and it turns out to be true. Nash visits her family here in Asuncion in the off season, has done some charity work with a hospital here, and even worked out with a local soccer team when he was here a year ago. Unfortunately the soccer team he practiced with was Olimpia, the Yankees of Paraguayan soccer, otherwise Nash could have become my favorite NBA player. It was cool to find out that someone famous has connections with Paraguay though and that Steve even speaks Spanish and drinks his terere like a local as seen below.
If that's not a Paraguayan, I don't know what is!

No comments: