Saturday, November 1, 2008

Africa Based Novels

Lately I have discovered that the literature that I am choosing to read has been mainly focused on one geographical area- Africa. I have read two books taking place in Africa and just started a third. I have always wanted to go to Africa, and these books are increasing my desire to go there. I read "The Poisonwood Bible" which is about a missionary family in the Congo during the independence of the Congo in 1960; "Unbowed" which is Wangari Maathai's personal memoir (she won the nobel peace prize in 2007 for her work as an environmentalist and promoting democracy in her home country of Kenya.) Now I am reading "We wish to inform you that tomorrow we will be killed with our families." This book is based on the genocide of the Tutsis in Rwanda which started in the 1950's and continued to the middle 1990's.

I have decided that I want to go to the continent of Africa for my next job, I just have to convince Jesse of this. He wants to go somewhere stable, and safe. He doesn't want another San Pedro Sula adventure! Africa will not be a safe, secure place; most places have unstable governments or high poverty and crime rates. Some areas are better than others, I just need to find the right place, school, country. If its French-speaking, well that's even better! I'm working on Jesse so that everyone can come visit me in Africa!!

No comments: